May 9, 2013

Seven Star Apparel



I featured Seven Star on the blog a while back in my April Review. At the time it wasn't about their clothing for me, but about what the brand was/is doing - making waves on the UK music scene. After the review I was lucky enough to have Nathan, one of the five faces behind the brand, contact me to have a chat about where the brand is heading in the future.

"There isn't a fancy story behind how the brand name came about, but its a journey in my life that was a hobby and now I want to take it to the next step."


My blog may be solely based on the independent UK apparel scene, but I have so much respect for independent artists and producers as well. SStar blissfully combines all these aspects into their company. In my April Review I mentioned the actual clothing being a small factor in what SStar are doing, however from what I hear it looks like the apparel is going to be catching up with the music.

"We've always wanted to get in to street-wear fashion, we love the mixture between art and clothing "

S-Star originally began as just a clothing brand in 2007. Unfortunately the brand wasn't making the sales, so in 2009 the team decided to change the brand to an online YouTube channel. This channel then went on to hit over 3million views and has enabled the team to re-launch the brand with a new professional look and release its first official collection to the public. 
 

"A friend of mine [DJ Jawzy] was in hoodstars at the time and he knew everyone in the grime scene. We turned to media and filming the artists he knew, which then generated money to then put in to better cameras and fund the snapbacks you see today." 


The collection is quite small, with snapbacks being their niche. The snapbacks are bold and really well made, with the SStar logo emblazoned across the front and back. The brand are most definitely looking to branch out into the clothing sector, with a crewneck jumper set to be the next step. However this will take time and the brand have promised that they wont settle for cheap merchandise, it's about finding the right place to deliver the quality for the brand. No 'Fruit Of The Loom' here.

Seven Star boasts an array of UK artists, all whom are a combination of friends, colleagues, paying customers and sick talent. Faith SFX, one of Plan B's support acts and ridiculously skilled beat boxer, is currently shooting with Sony in Dubai wearing an SStar snapback. The video will be going viral in the middle-east.
 
SStar also have support from big names such as Harvey from So Solid, Tre Mission, Skyler Grey StreetArt, Stylo G, Little Dee and Mz Bratt to name a few. The brand would love to see more artists supporting them and their ultimate hero wearer would be Pharrel Williams, for the obvious reason that he is a very dapper young gent.

The team don't have a next big step in the music scene as such, but they have goals to reach and collaborate with more artists old and new. 

"If you asked me in 2009 do you think you can get 3.5million views on a YouTube channel I'd have to say NO WAY! If you said do you think someone would pay for a hat that represents S-Star Apparel I'd also have to say No Chance! But believing in your work gets you far, I've still got a lot to do but I have a foundation to work from."

I love what these guys are doing and can't wait to see them blossom into an even bigger brand than they are today. For more information and to keep up to date with the label, visit their site here or check out their video's on youtube.
 
 
apparelreview@london.com