Apr 9, 2013

Oh Boy Attire


Image of Oh Boy Attire x P0gman Collab T-Shirt

Oh Boy Attire Interview

 
Today we talked with the Oh Boy Attire's Managing Director.
 
The brand started in 2012 with just an investment of £154.00. OBA believe if you are going to do it this way you have to make sure you have a solid first design. The OBA logo is kitsch, recognisable and in your face - in a good way.

"I've always been an arty person and attended uni for 2 years studying graphic design but decided to drop out. After that I worked a lot and thought to myself 'this isn't going to get me anywhere.' So I sat down and started OBA off on a piece of paper."

The brains behind OBA admits never really having a grasp on the indie t-shirt scene before starting the company, if you looked into the MD's wardrobe you would find Japanese clothing lines such as Evisu, Bape and Y-3. Japenese culture has been a huge influence for Oh Boy Attire. Tomoaki Nagao, the creative director of Bape, was an inspiration in starting OBA off. 


"The root of the design started out on paper, drawing numerous faces until I came up with one that matched the words 'Oh Boy' and looked fun. For the second logo I wanted to create a 3D version of 'Oh Boy' to give the brand another persona."

OBA wants to expand into more accessories once the brand has established itself. Not that this is a necessity just yet as the Crews and Tess are bold enough to catch your eye. The exciting thing with the sweatshirts is you can choose out of 11 colours for the garment colour and any version of the design you like. A crew for the brave, these designs are loud and will get you noticed. I cant wait to get my hands on one.

"I guess a lot of brands say this, we wanted something different than the bog standard type design. I use a basic style of illustration on my designs to give the garments an alternative look. Obviously the brand doesn't diversify that much to some of the labels out there, but I have a lot of ideas for different styles of garments. I have already started custom designs on my sweatshirts."

OBA had some of their garments selling in Low Coal Storeroom, owned by Droneboy, though unfortunately the shop came to the end of it’s lease a couple of weeks ago. However the brand would like to be in more independent stores across the country, branching OBA out to the masses. Oh Boy inform us that this may not come for another year or so. 

OBA would most like to see Pharrell Willams wearing their apaprel, as he has a large involvement in street fashion(BBC & Ice Cream.) 
 
"I try and collaborate with as many music producers/DJs and other designers as possible. It gives the products an exclusivity and people like to buy limited edition prints. Working with others in a scene similar to your own really expands your label"

In their words the apparel line is 
'Independent, Illustrated, Street Fashion.' 
Get your hands on one of their custom crews NOW, before it gets swept up by the celeb culture and splashed across stores all over the UK. Bape had better watch their backs....






For any enquiries please tweet me or email yasminjd@london.com